Sunday, December 23, 2007

a roof overhead

A roof!  A roof!

With Matt and Emily's semesters ending, and Phil's holiday break beginning, folks have been working hard on the house this week.  And, I get to report that there's now a roof!
You'll have to ask Matt about how he very quickly descended from this edge of the second floor landing.    I wasn't there.  He promises it wasn't nearly SO bad, or as bad as it might have been.  He says he'll blog about it soon.

In the meantime, he's driving down from a Sunday half-day of work where he helped put up the last fascia boards on the side of the house, and this is a quick update to say that lots is happeneing.  Now, we're reading for they county inspector to look at our roof sheathing tomorrow! 

(A Christmas Eve inspection.)

Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Mike Z said...

This may seem like a silly question, but how did you get the sheathing up on the 2nd floor? Did the lumber yard deliver to the roof? Later I saw they delivered the shingles to the roof. I am resheathing my entire roof and need a safe way to get the materials there.

Molly Vetter said...

Safely? I don't know that we're anywhere close to following good safety guidelines... ;)

Actually, we did find a pretty reasonable system, but it depended on our house being like it is--because the insides weren't finished, we were able to carry it upstairs inside the house, including up to a little loft in the center of the upstairs that was in reach for pushing it up through the rafters. I don't know that this would work for a re-sheathing; I think I would recommend asking the lumber deliverers about their ability to hoist it up, like the shingles.

Good luck!